12 June 2008

Banglore JIT (Just in Town)

BA119 disgorged me at 4.30am into the arrivals hall of Bangalore’s brand, spanking new airport. Barely open three weeks, it’s a fitting glass and steel gateway to India’s IT hub.

I’m in Bangalore for a 2 month internship with BP, the international energy company. I’m working in its alternative energy business with a team that has developed a smokeless biomass stove which is being sold to rural customers. It is a category-creating product which is aimed at the bottom of the income pyramid; its promise is to save the customer money (by being more efficient) and to improve their health (by being smokeless). Click here for a good summary.

This is my first trip to India and I feel lucky to be here as this emerging giant edges towards centre stage in the world economy. After two years in China, I wonder what my own comparisons of the two countries will be.

No comments: