27 May 2007

Arraial d'Ajuda and Itacare: 17-19 May

Lazy days. Not much to think about, not much to do.

My days went like this: wake up (what time is it? does it matter?), eat breakfast (fruit, juice, bread, strong coffee), laze in hammock, head to beach, enjoy white sands, settle under palm tree, watch the scene (bikinis and surf shorts), swim (heavy surf, good fun), relax, read (My Name is Red by Orhan Palmuk), eat lunch (crab, chips, cold beer), relax, people watch (Brazilians are white, brown, black, yellow, everything mixed together), swim, watch sunset (time for capirinhia?), wander back to pousada, shower and change (mmm, nice hot water), chat to some randoms, drink a few beers, eat (beans, rice, salad, local grilled fish), chat some more, find hammock (doze), brush teeth, bed (sleep).

Tomorrow: repeat.

Beach life is wonderfully simply. The repetition is not boring but a comforting patter which can be followed and enjoyed for its predictability. My only challenge was learning how to surf. Actually, my main challenge was trying not to drown. They say that only surfers know the feeling....I wish I could say that from the 10 seconds on my feet before being tossed into the frothing wave I too knew what they meant, but I don't. That will have to wait for a proper surf holiday.

No comments: