16 April 2007

Miami: 15 April

I sat high in the cab of the Super Shuttle next to Rodriguez doing 60mph down the I-95. The Super Shuttle was more tank than taxi, the great gas guzzling engine giving off a gigantic roar as we tried to overtake a Mercedes SLK. To no avail. The blonde at the wheel gave us one glance and then stepped on the gas, leaving us in the dust.

I was in Miami for under 24 hours, just passing through on my way to Buenos Aires. I decided to stay at the Miami River Inn which bills itself as the Mimai's only B&B (pretty obvious why it's Miami's "only" B&B, and likely to stay that way). Location was rubbish, but the price was soothing.

I showered, put on my white suit (I wish!), and escaped the Inn's drab decoration for swanky South Beach. I cruised down Ocean Drive (one my own two feet as opposed to Crockett and Tubbs's Corevette) soaking in the party atmosphere. The arte deco buildings frame the plethora of restaurants and bars lining the boulevard. If partying is you thing, then you'll find something for every taste: tacky shot bars, outdoor lounges with live reggae, and slick establishments for post-prandial drinks.

If you were going to design a glitzy city by the sea, then you'd build Miami. And at times is does seem dream like, as if you've stumbled into a supersized movie set. On Sunday I hopped on a harbour cruise that takes you past "Star Island" where the rich and famous live. The boat hovers outside this enormous multi-million dollar homes where Sylvester Stallone, Shaquille O'Neill, Julio Iglesias and many more have built the pad of their dreams. All seem to come equipped with gigantic yatch and jet skis. My favourite was definitely Puff Daddy's, I mean P-Diddy's, I mean Diddy (what's the dude's name?).

I have to admit there is something superficially attractive about Miami. It's warm, there's lots of water and beach. And if you have enough money, you can probably have the star life style too. But if you scratch beneath the surface what would you find? Anything beyond the hype and glitz? I didn't stay long enough to find out...

No comments: